14 October 2008

The Black ゴキブリ & My Pain

NOTE: There are no pics for this short blog - I apologize.

You know what a ゴキブリ (gokiburi) is? It's a cockroach. Ok, we've all seen these nasty, hemimetabolous insects before. But the ones in Japan give me an even more unpleasant feeling up my spinal column.

Story time...

So I came home one day, ready to cook something for dinner when I noticed something moving above me. This enormous ゴキブリ was scurrying about my ceiling. I quickly grabbed a can of cockroach spray (with a picture of a male chicken on the bottle - a picture that may lead one to suspect that it's Poultrycide, you know, for all those pesky chickens that raid your kitchen at night) and gassed the pest. After hitting the ground with a crunchy-like sound, it started running and trying to fly. I contained it in a paper cup, punctured a hole at the top, and continued to gas it. It took a whole night for it to die (I was still able to hear it scratching away at the cup walls while I was sleeping).

Don't know how it got in cuz my apartment's clean and virtualy oxygen-proof. Maybe it's kharma for making fun of my friend Kyle earlier in the work year. I would always say to him that there was a giant beetle kickin' it behind him on the wall while he was on the computer chatting with me. Ok, Kyle, I'm sorry. Happy now~!!?

Now, it's Tuesday night. Yesterday was a holiday. I spent my whole, glorious weekend indoors because I fell ill. A cold, allergies, I don't know, but all I know is, I can't breathe, my throat's sore, my eyes hurt, and my nose is stuffed up. This is my pain. I just want to be back to normal. Stupid wind and weather...

...more soon~!!!

7 comments:

MlleK said...

Ah the dreaded gokiburi encounter. Sucks! Can't believe it took all night for it to die. I slammed my heavy ass books on one and the next day he was gone. As long as it's not near me when I sleep or does one of its surprise maneuvers I'm good. Although I still shriek at the sight of them. Can't kill them to save my life. Those things are freggin' nasty. Elch~!

I need to see a picture of the chicken on the can though. WTF is that about?

S said...

welcome to japan, monster bugs galore! why didn't you flush that sucker down the toilet?! but yeah, i don't know why there's a chicken on the insecticide either...

hope you feel better soon! sucks to be sick/allergies/not feeling 100%. load up on bitamin C and get lots of sleep (and yes, i used a "b").

word. said...

eh oh el. was it really that big or are you just being a baby? hah jkjk.

did you bring ib profen w/ ya? feel better mang.

Unknown said...

lol indeed, but only at the the first part. Suffering sucks, Im getting something here too that's not quite sickness and not allergy either though not anywhere as bad as yours. If you find a way to fix it post that up too! Saw your dad last night he's looking well. He also played a crazy joke on me. I'll tell you next time I talk to you cuz it wont be as great a story in text. Feel better man.

- Matt

Anonymous said...

I think moist areas breed giant bugs. That's one thing that makes me *so* happy I'm home now. Bugs here no longer bother me in the least.
I didn't have roaches though, I had millipedes. Three freaking kinds of millipedes lived in my room. The worst ones would crawl up on the ceiling and then get tired and just fall on me - I swear they did it on purpose! The biggest took four days under a cup to die. At my homestay they had giant spiders with giant egg sacs, like really giant, like they could eat your face if they wanted to.
But roaches are really icky. Sorry dude. Have fun with those.

Anonymous said...

You know...Bugs are very interesting... in fact I like them for the most part and most don't bother me. But there's something maniacal about roaches. How big was it? I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to come in contact with one of those. Ugh. Darn those pesky chickens! Well, I hope you feel better dude!

Unknown said...

Dude!! No way! In the apartment?! I never had a single one there! Did you leave the screen door open? Or... man, I don't know, that apartment's like, locked down. You can buy some little cockraoch motel things, ask about it at the Boe if you cn't find them in the supa. <3 ganbare~!