01 September 2008

Back from the "Dead"

Ok yeah, so it seems like f-ing forever since I've blogged. Thanks to Japan for letting me have fast, reliable internet at work. Ahaha, jk, Japan's technology isn't reliable when you need it. But over one month later and my supervisor telling me "Yes. You will get internet next week." each week DURING that month, I finally have internet. Lord be praised (seriously, that's not sarcasm)~!!!

TODAY:
* first day of school
* did a 自己紹介 (jikoshoukai = self introduction) for the whole student body in English
* did a longer 自己紹介 for the whole faculty in 日本語
* no one told me how to dress afterwards for...
* SCHOOL GROUNDS CLEANING (weeding...in the f-ing sun...thanks)
NOTES: The kids are so wild. It's good and it's bad, but hey, I'm a wild guy, too. I know how to think at the level of these kids. This is going to be fun, challenging, and...well...different. By the way, I've made friends with both of my English teachers. They're awesome and have been helping me out a lot~!!!

Let's now rewind back to the weekend before last.


EARTH CELEBRATION:
SADO ISLAND~!!!

EC weekend was SO amazing. It took me 3 trains and a ferry to get to Sado, a trip probably around 7 to 8 hours in total. I met a guy named Temu, a Japanese native that has been travelling the world since he was 19 years old (currently 25). He likes to breathe, eat and do tricks with fire. Japanese hippies are awesome.

So I spent my weekend with my friends, Jessica Saiki (Las Vegas, NV. - Sado), Yoli Haynes (San Diego, Ca. - Kashiwazaki?), Jay Soley (Tampa, Fl. - Kashiwazaki), and Susan Chiang (Fort Worth, Tx. - Sado). I also made a whole bunch of other friends in the Niigata area. Even made friends with a Japanese photographer. I even ran into a few familiar faces from the North American taiko community. Shout-outs to TAIKOPROJECT, Odaiko New England, and UCSD Asayake Daiko~!!!


Aside from Kodo hosting, there was a Brazilian drum and base group playing. The concert was OFF THE HOOK, but I wish I got my groove on a little more. In Japan, people don't believe in going out with a bang (C'mon, man, it's drumming. Seriously, wtf). Regardless, I'll always be a die-hard Kodo fan. I wish I had pictures of the actual concert, but security would actually confiscate your camera if they saw you taking photographs (granted, you'd get your camera back...I think). Btw, I'll be posting more EC 08 pictures on my Facebook later on...or now...which ever comes first. I'm too lazy to post more here right now.

To say the least, the whole weekend was full of good food, shopping, hippies, music, dancing, and just hanging out. Sado is a beautiful place - filled with lots of greenery and gigantor critters. On the way back, Kodo performed a casual farewell performance. It sent chills down my spine; it was SO good. Then, the whole ferry ride back to Naoetsu port, people were playing their okedo taiko on the upper-most deck. What a nice weekend. I'm looking forward to EC 09 FOH SHO~!!!

Well, that should be a good enough update on my life. There have been a lot of other things going on in my life - frustration, irritation, confusion, reassurance, realization to name a few - but that's for another day. Now I'm off to bed. I need energy to figure out my first lesson on Wednesday. "Mr. G." - as the kiddies call me - needs to prepare.

がんばりま~す!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Internets!!! Bout time you got some. On the side teach them to call you Funk Masta G. That'd be dope. EC looks NUTS and we only got like 3 photos to go on right now. Glad to hear you're doin some fun stuff and not completely out of your mind from the mad stamping of papers. Good luck with Wed's though you probably will be fine. As always take care of yourself, also take lots of pictures!

-Matt

Unknown said...

do they call you G-san? Or Mr. G? Cuz...they're different!! ;-)

S said...

yay internet!

word. said...

hot.

Mike Gio said...

Yo. I've been teaching for 2 weeks now this is the start of my 3rd. It has been a blast. I have effectively executed 3 separate lesson plans. the self-intro, a history of america and culture lesson, and a food and nutrition lesson...which turned into a "make fun of the fat americans lesson" but such is life. I like it so far. I am getting lazier by the day though.

MlleK said...

Whaddup Mr. G! (or is is miss-taa ji?) That's way cool. Has a nice ring to it. Take pix with your kids - I wanna see.

It sounds like you are having a great time. Lucky punk! I got your postcard from Sado and was totally jealous. Did you see the ladies of Sado at all?

For your jikoshoukai how was it? What did you end up doing?

Had to laugh about dressing afterwards. I remember a time when I dressed to the 9s for class and found out at the end of the day I was planting freggin' RICE!!! And yes, out in the bloody sun!! You kidding me? I had to roll up my nice pants and get in the mud with my kids. Fun, but not cool!!

I'm also very happy to hear that your team teachers are helpful. They will save your life!!

GANBARE~!!

Anonymous said...

Man that sounds awesome! Hippies, drums, and fire tricks? Wish I could be there!!!